Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mid-Autumn Festival

When i was just a little girl(a long time ago), one of my favorite festivals was the Mid-Autumn Festival. I loved going to the local stores which were usually packed to the gills with all kinds of beautiful lanterns. Dragons, butterflies and birds in myriad of colors and glitters. I had to have the most beautiful one, of course! :)

And on the 15th day of the eighth month of the Chinese Calendar, we would carry our beautiful lanterns and go for a walk under the full moon, hoping that our candle lit lanterns would survive the journey(sometimes they would catch on fire).

And thru the years, these memories remain as a sweet recollection of the past for me. So, this year, i decided to introduce this little tradition to Tyler and Alan. And since we're a little deprived of lanterns over here in Broomfield, I only managed to get the basic accordian type of lantern, which Tyler tore up within seconds!!! Ha, but I was smarter, I bought more than we needed!

So, with our lanterns lit(we had real candles, Tyler had an electric candle), we ventured out to the cold night and went for a romantic stroll under the bright full moon.





So, 1 broken lantern(Tyler's), 2 burnt out candles and 3 frozen ears later, we finished our first lantern walk as a family!! Let's see if we can make it an annual tradition for years to come.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

That is a very sweet post. I am glad you have brought this festival into the lives of your family members! It's a great holiday - no religious or other baggage, just a straight up fun wholesome celebration of the season. Did you eat some moon cakes? Thanks so much for ours. :) zhong qiu jie kuai le

Siew Gin Mills said...

Thanks Ben! Although i think i celebrated it one night too early! Doh!!

I had lots of mooncakes this year. I ordered some from San Francisco and my friend sent me a box.