Friday, January 31, 2014

Happy Chinese New Year 2014

In the last few days leading to Chinese New Year, my friends have been posting Facebook posts of their preparation for chinese new year. From cookies to decorations to everything. I was feeling increasingly guilty for not doing anything(apart from organizing a CNY feast).

I feel that i was lucky to grow up with some Chinese culture exposure and feel bad that i'm not imparting any to the boys, especially now that they are slowly understanding stuff. So, i was in gear. I made some Chinese New Year cookies and got myself some Chinese New Year decorations. The kids sorta got a little excited when they were shopping the decorations with me!

I had to explain some culture stuff to them about Chinese New Year. And here are some conversation that i had with them.

Before they went to bed:
Me : So, tomorrow is chinese new year, you will have to remember to wish me so i can give you red packets.
Tyler : what's in the red packet?
Me : Money
Tyler : Can you give me dollars??

Cody was in bed with Alan:
Cody : tomorrow i'm going to wake up and wish mommy Happy New Year so i can get red packet!!

And the next morning, Cody's comes in and snuggle with me..
Cody : Hi Mommy!! Happy Christmas!!!
Me : hehehe.. Christmas???
Cody : Ohhh.. Happy New Year!!
Me : Happy New Year..
Cody : where is my.. umm.. umm.. thing.. umm umm.. red packet!!!
Me : *sigh*

And after Tyler opens his red packet:
Tyler : wow.. 50 dollar bill!!!
Me : Hey, he knows his notes!! :)

Anyways, tomorrow we will go watch some chinese cultural show for more cultural exposure!!!

Happy New Year!!!

First day cookie - Peanut cookie

2nd day cookie - pineapple tarts and cornflake cookies

3rd day - Nori/Seaweed Crisps

Trying to create some CNY atmosphere in the house with my newly acquired cherry blossoms!

And my new door decoration! Happy New Year!!



No comments: