Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sri Lanka Trip

Our trip to Sri Lanka was made under the pretense of attending Damith and Sabrina's wedding. It was a good vacation of 2 weeks, although Tyler did fall sick for a week and lost a bunch of weight. *sigh*

I've been putting off writing this blog because it is going to be huge and I'm not sure how I'm going to write it. So, I'm going for a super summary version. Our friend Tony wrote a beautiful article about it, so I'm going to steal his if possible. And I'll post more pictures on some other more friendly picture uploading format!

The first week in Sri Lanka, we spent a few relaxing days at out beautiful hotel - Mt Lavinia Hotel. Tyler had his first experience of the beach and we had a chance to recover from our long 36 hr journey.


Tyler trying out the sea water..


First family beach vacation..

The wedding was an enchanting evening filled with interesting ceremonies and beautiful saris. I had the chance to play dress up with Sabrina which was super fun! And because I'm very vain, I'm posting lots of pics of us in our beautiful saris.

Getting ready at the salon


Ready, pose...


Alan and I


Tyler gets a go to take pictures with mommy! He was pretty intrigued by what i was dressed in.


All the girls in all our glamour



Picture with the bride and groom.


And because Damith's parents put so much effort into the whole thing, I'll post a few pictures on the blog. The house was decorated so beautifully and everything ran like clockwork and food was fantastic. They sure know how to do things right.

Our welcoming dancers


Angelic voices singing a song that Damith's mom composed.


Some lighting ceremony


Cutting of the rice cake


Beautifully decorated seats for the bride and groom


And of course the beautiful spread of food...

After the wedding we took a 4-day road trip to visit a few famous sites in Sri Lanka like the Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage where we got to ride elephants, Dambulla Cave Temple, Sigiriya, ancient city of Anuradhapura and some highlands with tea plantations. It was an eye opening experience to find out so much more about Sri Lanka. It truly is a beautiful country. So much history and interesting sites. If they are trying to keep tourist out, the lack of publicity about all these tourist attractions and bad roads/horrible traffic are definitely working!!

All in all, it was a nice little road trip except that Tyler was doing a food strike and was sick and cried a lot. Poor baby!! By the time we got back to Colombo, I decided that I would stay with him and not go on to India as planned. Damith and his parents were kind to let us stay at their cozy home.

While Alan and Evelyn went off to visit India, Tyler and I spent the next few days relaxing and having a good time swimming in the pool and playing with the neighbour kids who LOVED him! It was quite funny to see them fawn over him while he played hard to get.

After a few days of relaxing, Tyler was almost back to normal and Alan persuaded us to join him and I arranged for Tyler and I to fly out to New Delhi and continued to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.
The Taj Mahal is one site not to be missed. I never thought a building could take my breath away and it did! Holy cow that guy loved his dead wife! We had a good time visiting other sites in Agra and spent too much money on souvenirs.

Family picture at the Taj Mahal

Beautiful Taj Mahal..

Goofing around the grounds of Taj Mahal

The next day we flew back to Colombo and spent the rest of the days in Colombo shopping for even more souvenirs while Alan and Tyler chilled out by the pool.

On our way home, we stopped for the night in Singapore and met up with my parents and my aunt Shirley. We had a nice little Reunion Dinner. After dinner, Alan showed Damith and Sabrina out on a mini Singapore tour while I went home to spend some quality time with mom, dad and Aunt Shirley.

No comments: