Friday, March 23, 2012

Irish Soda Bread for St Paddy's Day

The Chandrasekaras had a party to celebrate St Paddy's day. I was put in charge of making appetizers - so we settled on Irish Soda Bread with Smoked salmon.

I had never even heard of soda bread and so, i was on hunt for a good recipe. But it's sorta hard to figure out if the recipe is good if you have no clue what the end product is supposed to be. And not to mention that the idea of what it's supposed to be ranges from dry and plain to moist and loaded with raisins and caraway seeds and some even had nuts!

But i figured, moist and flavorful beats dry and bland anytime even if it's not all that authentic!! Anyways, i was a little nervous about how it came out and didn't even bother with waiting for it to cool before i cut a piece of it. My first impression.. weird...

Then, i slathered some chive butter on it and it worked, so.. yay!!

I used 1 loaf to serve with the smoked salmon(didn't take any pics!!) and the rest just as is. Apparently many people liked it.. so double yay!! :)

Irish soda bread.. with raisins and caraway seeds

3 comments:

evelyn and patrick said...

That looks good will have to try soda bread well done

eileen said...

I love soda bread! As I do Irish brown bread. Well down Siew Gin :)

Siew Gin Mills said...

Ahhh.. i forgot that you studied in Ireland!! I should have called you. I was fretting over it all day!! So, what does Irish Soda Bread in Ireland taste like?