Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pinoy Food at last

It's been nearly a year since we left the Philippines and i've always wanted to do a Pinoy meal but just never had the chance. So, for Sunday dinner this week, I made 3 of my favorite Pinoy food as a tribute to the Philippines.

It took me a little while to get used to the Filipino lifestyle during my short stint there. But as i slowly got used to it, it began to grow on me. The annoying taxi rides and how the stores are alway "no stock, mam" was something that i just accepted. Their food though not too exciting also grew on me. I began to love my bicol express kick, and the funky taste pancit palabok and the complexity of pinakbet. It may not be the best food on earth, but it does bring me back to my nice memories of my time there.

And to think about it, it was after i embraced the country for what it is that i truly was able to enjoy my time there. I do every now and then miss my time in the Philippines but much of them is due to the nice people i have met when i was there.

It is quite sad now whenever i go to the Asian store, i always seek out the Filipino cashiers and try to practice my diminishing Tagalog! But i must sound pretty good with the few words i use because they always forget i am not actually Filipino and they continue the entire conversation in Tagalog even though i look blankly at them(they do that in Philippines too!!)

Pinakbet(Veg with bagoong)

Kaldareta(Beef Stew)

Bicol Express(Pork in Coconut Cream with Chili)

I invited Damith, Sabrina and Hish over to try the dishes and it went over pretty well. Everybody agreed that the flavor is unique and it's good!! I guess i didn't do Pinoy food a disfavor and i believe more Pinoy dishes will be making more appearances at our dinner table in future!

No comments: