Sunday, December 14, 2008

Our First Ginger Bread House

One of our favorite things to do is to put pressure on new friends to have a party for us! Another couple caved. Yay!!!

So, Elaine and Matt invited us to their house for a Ginger Bread House decorating party on Friday. Since it was our first GBH decorating experience, i was very much looking forward to it and had big ambitions to win!

Elaine had baked all the ginger bread and made all the icing and even bought lots of candy for everyone(she is after all a lady of leisure!!! :). But I didn't take any chances, so I brought additional candy for the design i had in mind.

As we were a little late to the party, we started on the house immediately when we got to their trendy and yuppy apartment. With Alan in charge of keeping Tyler away from any house demolition, I put the house together(ok, additional little help from Alan and Steffen) quickly and began to put my thatched roof on.


Putting the roof on - would never hear the end of it from my engineering friends if my roof were to collapse.


My thatched roof!

Soon, decorating was in full motion. Everybody was a little competitive yet encouraging when somebody came up with a good design idea. Who would have believed that a bunch of 30-somethings can have so much fun indulging in such a kid-like activity? But we did!! We didn't budge when the food arrived!

But all fun things have to end and get judged!!


Front of our house...


Back of our house - with chimney and garage!

Here are the rest of the house designs..


Uyen and Jim


The Chandrasekaras - world's record for the fastest GBH decorated!


Matt and Elaine - our lovely hosts


Darshan and Addy with special "solar" roof!


Michala and Ben - the winners !


Steffen's house of love..


Manu's design kit house..

Anyways I came in 2nd!! OK, I was really hoping for 1st prize but my house didn't come out as nice as I wanted and Michala's was really cute!

A photo op with a few of the houses..

After the end of the competition, we went downstairs for quick movie and went home. It was a really fun night!

No comments: