Saturday, June 16, 2012

Another 14er conquered - Mt Evans

Mt Evans is the closest 14er to Denver, but it wasn't crossed off as there is a road going to the top, and its a fairly easy one.

So this year I signed up for Mt Evans Ascent which is a 14.5 mile running race up the mountain that starts at 10,600 feet and finishes at 14,264 feet.

They have a cutoff of 2.5 hours for the first 9 miles and the course must be completed in 4.5 hours, which on the flat and not at altitude is pretty easy.  Some people say this is the same effort as running a marathon.

The best time for this is 1 hour 37 minutes which is crazy fast !! The winner this year did 1 hour 47 minutes,I managed to complete it in 3 hours and 45 minutes, , which is okay but I was one of the slowest for sure as there were a lot of good runners on the course.

Great sight !!









I finished in 320 place out of 369 !! (the start list showed 456 people)

Just as it finished, the weather turned nasty and we had to wait around for an hour in the snow and hail while we waited for buses to bring us back down the hill in foggy conditions.

I am pleased to have done this one, not sure I would do it again, as it is basically 14.5 miles of slogging uphill on a mountain.  I would probably have preferred half the distance with the same elevation gain, especially if I had done some training beforehand.

Lucky for me my next race is only a 1 miler and its downhill !!

With my medal


This is a tough course for sure !!

Course gets much steeper over the last 5 miles

1 comment:

evelyn and patrick said...

Congratulations it would have taken me a couple of days well done