Friday, June 1, 2012

Florida Vacation - Day 4

Today we decided to show the kids a new boating experience - kayaking through mangrove forest. I was really hoping to be in Alan's kayak, but no such luck. I had to kayak my own with Tyler while Alan was paired up with Cody.

Just as we left the pier to begin our 1.5 hr journey through Creek Water trail, i realized i was useless at kayaking and was having my usual laughing fit which Tyler didn't think was very funny. He kept saying "let's go mommy.. look daddy is so far ahead!!"

Soon, we reached our trail and it was so peaceful and serene and the water was a little more smooth. The sides  of the trail were dotted with pelicans, egrets and herons all looking for fishes in the mangrove forest. It was really quite paradise-like. Well apart from my screams when i crash into the mangroves!

One of the attractions of this ride, was the fact that you could also see alligators. Was I secretly happy to not have seen one  during the whole trip. Instead we watch herons dive into water and emerge with a fish in their mouth.

The kids did quite well on the trip though there was lots of whining from Cody towards the end of the trip about his phantom "oww-ies" but Tyler was quite the trooper and enjoyed the nature show along the way, though i'm sure he preferred to be on the fast boat with daddy!!

As you can see, there are no pictures. It's because Miss Scatterbrain here left the camera back at Tarpon Bay Explorers desk. But thank goodness we're in the US again and people are extremely honest and the camera was returned to the desk. So, check back for pictures tomorrow!!

In the evening, we again went to beach. There was a storm that looked like it was brewing when we were there so, the beach was empty. It was great!! Water was a little choppy so the kids and Alan built a mighty sandcastle with deep trenches. The kids had a great time pouring water into the trenches and Cody was in heaven jumping into the water pool and asking Tyler to pour water over his butt, "Get my butt, Tyler!!" while he sticks it out sideways! ha!! I was mighty sad that i didn't have my camera with me as i'm not sure how many of these moments are left before they grow up!

I also got the chance to look for some seashells. I found a pile of them washed up and found a bunch of really nice ones. Brings me back to my childhood years when i used to spend hours at our beach house with my cousins collection shells during our school holidays!

I'm definitely putting beach holiday in our yearly roadmap going forward!!

No comments: